Estonian Museum Association
Veski 32, Tartu, phone 735 0412
Info in Tallinn: Pikk 70, phone 641 1410
PROFESSIONAL STANDARD FOR MUSEUM PROFESSIONALS
Estonian system of professional qualification determines professional qualification requirements on five different levels. The present professional standard includes requirements agreed between relevant institutions on III, IV and V level professional qualifications for museum professionals.
This professional standard has been prepared for the first time and was confirmed in 2005.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROFESSION
Museum professional finds a job as a director, head treasurer, researcher, curator of collections and exhibitions at museums and other institutions related to cultural heritage etc.
Museum professionals base their activities on professional ethics.
Museum professional III is a specialist, who
The following requirements must be met for the application of Museum professional III qualification: Secondary education, at least 5 years of professional experience and professional in-service training or Higher education, at least 3 years of professional experience and in-service training.
- Is capable of evaluating the museal value of artistic output and materials, items, documents and images related to nature, history and cultural heritage
- Participates in the replenishment and maintenance of collections, compiles collection item catalogues
- Observes due regimen established for the storage of museals, thus guaranteeing the conservation and preservation of collections
- Assists researchers and interested people to orientate in museum information systems and enables them working with collections pursuant to the procedure established in the museum
- Participates in the organisation of exhibitions, promotes museum activities and participates in educational events
Museum professional IV is a specialist, who
The following requirements must be met for the application of Museum professional IV qualification: Higher education, 5 years of professional experience, professional in-service training.
- Practices research work, initiates and curates research, exhibition and other projects, supervises works related to the compilation of scheduled exhibitions and expositions, coordinates the activities of different segments and makes reports
- Practices systematic collection, completes and maintains museals according to established rules of the house
- Supervises and consults in museological and professional matters
- Researches, analyses and interprets information
Museum professional V is a specialist, who
- Compiles instructions
- Participates in international cooperation (exhibitions, presentations, workshops of international organizations etc.)
- Practices research work, if necessary, compiles reviews
The following requirements must be met for the application of Museum professional V qualification:
Higher education, at least 10 years of professional experience, professional in-service training,
Holding a scientific degree or working as a lecturer or preparing methodological materials
Under professional experience working experience at museums and other institutions related to cultural heritage is meant in this professional standard.
Additional information: Ülle Kruus (email@example.com)